|Web Programming & database
||Three Months Course
Six Months Course
Hours Per Class
40 (3 Class Per Week)
80 (3 Class Per Week)
This course is an introduction to the PHP programming language. Topics include installation and
configuration with the Apache http server, variables and data types, language syntax, control
structures, functions, strategies and tools for handling input and generating output, error
handling, sending email, manipulating dates and times, string manipulation and regular
expressions, SQL and MySQL database access, object oriented programming (OOP), templating
with Smarty, and using packages from the PHP Extension and Application Repository (PEAR) .
Though primarily focused on PHP 4.x, the course will also take note of new features in PHP 5.
We will emphasize security and sound coding practices throughout.
After completion of this course, students will: know how to write and understand PHP code, and
use it to build dynamic web pages; be able to install and configure third-party PHP packages; be
ready to further their knowledge of web application development with PHP in subsequent, more
1. Use PHP to transform static HTML pages into dynamic web sites
2. Create and populate your own MySQL database tables, and work with data stored in files
3. Perform sophisticated MySQL queries with joins, and refine your results with LIMIT and ORDER BY
5. Protect your data from SQL injection attacks
6. Use regular expressions to validate information on forms
7. Dynamically display text based on session info and create images on the fly
8. Pull syndicated data from other sites using PHP and XML